Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Stampo mi pasaporto por favor...



The title of this blog refers to my student's ingenious Spanish vocabulary substitutions when prompted by their Profersora to answer questions during in-class speaking exercises. Their mentality is, "Well Miss, if you just add an "o" to whatever word you want to say, most of the time it sounds Spanish. Por ejemplo (example), I don't wanto do-o my homeworko."
 
"Um yeah, sure kids," I say shaking my head not so much with disdain but rather amusement at how silly my students can be. "That sounds exactly like, "No quiero hacer mi tarea."
High Schoolers are truly the masters of simplifying any and every task given to them. By "masters of simplifying" what I mean to say is that they are the masters of doing as little as possible to reach whatever end goal they have in mind. But enough about my students. It's almost July and I have been talking about them since September. It's also detracting from the point of this travel blog.

I am about to embark on my second summer of graduate school. Location: Guatemala. Dates: June 27th-August 9th. Mission: Complete three courses, hike up volcanoes, visit outdoor markets, marvel at Mayan ruins, and speaka da Spanish. :)

As most of you know, I'm a high school Spanish teacher in New York City. After completing a two year teaching fellowship with NYCTF in Brooklyn, I decided to professionally develop myself further by signing up for a second masters degree, more loans, DEBT, and the chance to familiarize myself with the people, languages, and cultures of the countries I represent everyday in my classroom. Per recommendation of a colleague, I decided upon an excellent program from a school I never even knew existed: The University of Sacramento State. http://www.csus.edu/fl/spanish/ts.htm

It works like this people: I teach during the regular school year and then for three consecutive summers I travel to different Spanish speaking countries where I study X's culture and take literature, linguistics, and culture courses. Upon the completion of my third summer, I will take a cumulative exam in Sacramento. Then BAM, I will have three summers of incredible experiences and another Masters degree. I am not trying to brag, but seriously, dude, AWESOME! Being a teacher is never going to be financially rewarding, but at least I can have my summers.

So I join you to follow along with my BLOGO so that you can ENJOYO my experiences with me over the next MONTHO.

xoxo Martha


No comments:

Post a Comment